Michelle from The Crafty Foxes has popped in and shown us all how to make this fabulous tissue paper Sunflower.
A great idea to help fill up some of your spare time with the Summer Holidays on the way – a how-to guide is detailed below to show you exactly how Michelle made this summery Sunflower – hope you have as much fun as we did!
CREPE PAPER SUNFLOWER
- Black Crepe Paper
- Brown Crepe Paper
- Yellow Crepe Paper
- Green Crepe Paper
- Crafting Stick or Crafting Straw
- Chenille Stem/Pipe Cleaner
- Glue Gun
Let’s make a Sunflower:
1. Start with the Black Crepe Paper and cut off a 5cm strip off the top of one fold
2. Taking your scissors – please ask an adult for help – cut slits into the crepe paper. Don’t go all the way down about 2cm is perfect
3. Now for the fun bit – you will need your chosen stem and with a glue gun you need to stick one end of the crepe paper to the stem and start wrapping like in the pictures below – you will need to keep sticking it down to keep it secure.
4. With the Brown Crepe Paper cut off a 5cm strip and wrap this around the Black Crepe flower centre – glue this to the Black Crepe and also make sure you glue this to your stem.
5. Now that the centre is complete it is time to make a start on the petals. To make the petals we took some Yellow Crepe Paper cut strips off the end of the fold that measure about 10cm
6. Next you need to roll up the Crepe Paper so that it is about 6cm wide and then you need to cut out a petal shape like in the middle photo below – leave a band around the bottom so that you can glue this to the stem
7. Crease each petal slightly at the each end using your thumb and fore-finger. Ideally you will need two strips petals so please repeat the above process so that you have a lovely full sunflower at the end
8. Glue all around the middle and base of your flower centre and start to stick the first layer of petals on. Continue to wrap the flower petals around making sure that you glue as you go
9. Now repeat with the second strip of petals
10. Now we need to cover your stem – taking the Green Crepe Paper cut a strip which is approximately 6cm wide
11. Wrap it all around the outside base of the flower – just like in the pictures below – and down the stem. Glue it at the bottom to keep it in place.
12. Finally cut out some leaf shapes and stick them around the top of the flower. Once the leaves are on just spread out all of the petals ….
The finished product ….. amazing!
We hope you enjoy making this Sunflower … happy crafting!
From the team at Bright Ideas and Michelle from the Crafty Foxes